Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The History of Cake According to Janey

I thought long and hard about what I should write for my very first entry on this fabulous new site.  It hit me like block of butter that I should write a little about my sugar story as it has, so to speak, "baked" over the years.
My very first formal cake was for my mother's wedding.  I was 18 years old and the need to make something spectacular was an exciting challenge.  Little did I know then, literally I knew nothing about how to contruct a five tier wedding cake and yet I did.  Well truth be told it turned out to be only three tiers as two giant tiers lay in a helpless heap on my mother's dining room table.  I remember distinctly my new step father eagerly diggin' into the pile of broken cake and enjoying every morsle. 
After this I enrolled in every possible cake class I could get my hands on.  Back in the day 26 years ago, (don't do the math you're not suppose to know how old I am!) sugarcraft was not nearly the industry it is today. So I had limited options and yet Sugarcraft became my obessision! I volunteered to do any cake possible, the days of crumbled cake masterpieces on my dining room table were long behind me!
Since then cakes have come such a long long way. Gone are the days of buttercream wedding cake with layers of piping and rosettes.  Truth be known I never really like them anyways!  Birthday cakes are no longer generic piles of sugar we stick a candle in but instead a carved novelty of delight and inspiration.  Love it!
So my readers, join me on this sugar adventure and let's see where the next 25 years take us!

Sweetly yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment